No matter what we go through, we dust ourselves off, get back up and fight even harder!
Women’s month in South Africa is used to pay tribute to the women who marched to the Union Buildings on the 9th of August 1965 protesting the extension of Pass Law to women. This month also highlights the significant and harsh issues that South African women must deal with every year. These include discrimination, domestic violence, harassment at home and at work, inequality and many more.
Despite all the obstacles women face, they still try to come out strong from what they go through. Therefore, Women’s month is also used to celebrate courage. A strong woman overcoming a situation is a motivation to other women who are going through hardships. Maya Angelou once said, “Each time a woman stands up for herself, she stands up for all women.”
Women are becoming more independent and successful despite the gender inequality that occurs in the workplace. According to Helene (2016), “No matter what we go through, we dust ourselves off, get back up and fight even harder!” and this is what makes women powerful.
Women were born resilient, resulting in them pushing through any pain they must endure and becoming the best versions of themselves while spreading gentleness and kindness to the people around them. Christine (2021) states that there are ten characteristics of mentally strong women, namely:
- Confident: How we feel about ourselves is important as it affects how we view other people.
- Productive: Being progressive plays an important role in one’s mental health, and women prioritise being on top of everything.
- Optimistic and Positive: It is very important to feed your soul positive thoughts and gratitude because a grateful heart attracts more.
- “Go-Getter”: An ambitious woman with a plan can achieve anything they set their mind to.
- “Fear Tackler”: Mentally strong women can overcome their fears and traumas instead of avoiding them.
- Caring: Women are the most caring human beings on earth, and they do this effortlessly.
- Not afraid to stand up for what you believe in: Mentally strong women defend themselves and are not scared to speak if they encounter a problem.
- Proud: Women celebrate their accomplishments while celebrating those around them as well.
- Not fazed by what other people say: phenomenal women are hardly intimated by negative energy.
- True to yourself: Mentally strong women are authentic and do not filter themselves to fit into society.
At Design@Bay, Women’s month is close to our hearts because we believe in women empowerment. Empowerment is practised by the company’s leader and staff in general. Our MD also empowers women within Design@Bay and beyond, sharing knowledge and mentoring upcoming young businesswomen who aspire to be entrepreneurs one day.